Belinda is co-founder and co-director of Ooid Scientific. Belinda has 10+ years experience working as a researcher in academia, both within the CSIRO and at the University of Western Australia. Belinda has extensive experience in building capacity and drawing investment into environmental research, including using microbes for environmental monitoring, enhancing clean-up of contaminated soils and wetlands and marine restoration.
Belinda’s research is highly collaborative, with her professional network extending across national and international academic and industry partners. Belinda continues to speak at national and international conferences and to provide advice on expert panels.
Belinda has a PhD in marine microbial ecology from the University of Western Australia and an Honors degree in Environmental Science. She continues to provide supervision of several postdoctoral students at the University of Western Australia.
- Benthic marine ecology
- Soil and water remediation
- Plant and freshwater ecology (including constructed wetlands)
- Aquaculture and gut health
- Development of novel microbial monitoring tools
- Biogeochemistry and microbial ecology of natural system
Jen is a co-founder and co-director of Ooid Scientific. Jen is a multidisciplinary ecologist who is interested in understanding links between macro-scale management and micro-scale processes to improve the quality of natural and engineered systems. Jen collaborates with academia (national and international), industry, government, and, non-profit organisations to deliver positive environmental and social outcomes.
Jen has a PhD in urban freshwater systems from the the University of Western Australia and an Honors degree in Zoology. Jen also studied fine art and design at Curtin University.
- Microbial ecology and biogeochemistry of natural and engineered systems, including; biofilms, soils, plant-microbe interactions, anaerobic digestors, aquatic environments.
- Urban aquatic ecology and restoration, including; constructed wetlands, ‘living’ streams, drains, streams, rivers and estuarine systems (current project)
- Investigation and optimisation of insect-based products (e.g. protein, oil and frass) in the circular economy (current project)
- Characterising DOM using fluorescence spectroscopy
Head of communication/co-founder
Nat has 10+ years experience working as a geologist in the mining industry. Nat also studied fine arts at the college of fine arts (COFA) at the University of New South Wales. She specialises in painting and illustration and has held numerous exhibitions across Australia.
Nat has a Bachelors degree with a double in marine science and geology from the University of Western Australia.
- Geological and structural mapping
- 3D modelling
- Geochemical analysis
- Graphic design
- Painting & ceramics
Dan is a quantitative ecologist with 20+ years as a researcher in academia. Dan specializes in the application of modelling tools to the field of conservation and natural resource management. Dan provides research and quantitative support to natural resource agencies and academics around the world. Through his work Dan aims to reduce uncertainty in the management of natural resources and promote a more transparent and explicitly science-based management process.
Dan has worked on fish ecology (e.g. stocking, environmental flows), invertebrates, terrestrial mammals (e.g. exotic mammal baiting), and plant ecology (e.g. floodplain vegetation).
Dan has over six years in delivering effective workshops in data analysis in ecology throughout the USA. Dan has a PhD in fisheries and aquatic science from the University of Florida and a Masters degree in Biology from Towson University, Maryland.
Research areas and specialisation
- Stochastic simulation to optimize monitoring design and analysis methods.
- Estimation methods such as likelihood and Bayesian techniques. These tools allow for the customization of analysis to maximize the inference potential of field data.
- Simulation models to develop science-based hypotheses about expected system responses to management actions. This type of modelling is a useful way to synthesize information and make explicit the assumptions that we make when predicting outcomes of management prescriptions.
Peta is a Perth based designer, illustrator and public artist. She has extensive experience in the creation of graphic design products, branding, illustrations, animations, posters and public art murals. You can see Peta’s latest work on instagram @onomatopeta_
Peta graduated in Graphic Design and Illustration Design from Curtin University of Technology in Perth.
- Illustration & Graphic design
- Painting & Murals
Graphic Designer / Illustrator
Chloe is a Brisbane based illustrator and graphic designer. Her illustrations and designs have been featured globally including in magazines such as Frankie, Yoke, and Unbound as well as for major brands such as Five Four the Wild, Crumbs, The Fox Glove, Goat Story and ILAA, among others. Chloe brings a cool, unique style to our team. Check out her portfolio on instagram @chloejoyceillustrations.
Chloe studied at Enmore Design School and has over 10 years experience working in the design industry.
- Graphic design