Freshwater & Riparian Ecology
- Boyero L, …Middleton JA, Gwinn DC. Impacts of detritivore diversity loss on instream decomposition are greatest in the tropics. Nature Communications. 2021; 12, 1-11.
- Boyero L, …Middleton JA. Latitude dictates plant diversity effects on instream decomposition. Science Advances. 2021; 7, 1–8.
- Canham CA, Beesley LS, Gwinn DC, Douglas MM, Setterfield SA, Freestone FL, Pussey BJ, Loomes RC. Predicting the occurrence of riparian woody species to inform environmental water policies in an Australian tropical river. Freshwater Biology. 2021
- Saccò M, Blyth AJ, Humphreys WF, Middleton JA, White NE, Campbell M, et al. (2020) Tracking down carbon inputs underground from an arid zone Australian calcrete. PLoS ONE. 2020.15(8): e0237730.
- Middleton JA, de Sosa L, Martin BC, Jones D, Gleeson DB. Soil microbes of an urban remnant riparian zone have greater potential for N removal than a degraded riparian zone. Environmental Microbiology. 2020; 22(8), 3302–3314.
- Middleton JA, Grierson PF, Pettit N, Kelly L, Beesley LS. Multi-scale characterisation of stream nutrients and carbon dynamics in sandy near coastal catchments of south-western australia. Science of the Total Environment. 2020; 720: 1-11.
- Beesley LS, Pusey BJ, Douglas MM, Gwinn DC, Canham CA, Keogh CS, Pratt OP, Kennard MJ, Setterfield SA. New insights into the food web of an Australian tropical river to inform water resource management. Scientific Reports. 2020; 10: 14294
- Beesley LS, Close PG, Gwinn DC, Long M, Moroz M, Koster WM, Storer T. Flow-mediated movement of freshwater catfish Tandanus bostocki in a regulated semi-urban river in south-western Australia. Ecology of Freshwater Fish. 2019.
- Moxham C, Kenny SA, Beesley LS, Gwinn DC. Large-scale environmental flow results in mixed outcomes with short-term benefits for a semi-arid floodplain plant community. Freshwater Biology. 2019; 64, 24-36.
- Gwinn DC, Middleton JA, Beesley L, Close P, Quinton B, Storer T, Davies PM. Hierarchical multi-taxa models inform catchment vs. local-scale restoration of urban streams in a permeable landscape. Ecological Applications. 2018; 28: 385-397.
- Whiterod N, Zukowski S, Asmus M, Todd C, Gwinn DC. Take the long way home: minimal recovery in a K-selected freshwater crayfish impacted by significant population loss. Ecological Indicators. 2018; 89: 622-630.
- Gwinn DC, Allen MS, Bonvechio K, Hoyer M, Beesley LS. Evaluating estimators of species richness: the importance of considering statistical error rates. Methods in Ecology and Evolution. 2015; 7: 294-302.
- King AJ, Gwinn DC, Tonkin Z, Mahoney J, Beesley LS. Using abiotic drivers of fish spawning to inform environmental flow management. Journal of Applied Ecology. 2015; 53: 34-43.
- Gwinn DC, Beesley LS, Close P, Gawne B, Davies PM. Imperfect detection and the determination of environmental flows for fish: challenges, implications and solutions. Freshwater Biology. 2015; 61: 172-180.
- Bunch A, Allen MS, Gwinn DC. Influence of macrophyte induced hypoxia on fish communities in lakes with altered hydrology. Lake and Reservoir Management. 2015; 31, 11-19
- Beesley LS, Gwinn DC, Price A, King AJ, Gawne B, Koehn D, Nielsen D. Juvenile fish response to wetland inundation: how antecedent conditions can inform environmental flow policies for native fish. Journal of Applied Ecology. 2014; 51: 1613-1621
- Hangsleben MA, Allen MS, Gwinn DC. Evaluation of electrofishing catch per unit effort for indexing fish abundance in Florida lakes. Transaction of the American Fisheries Society. 2013; 142: 247-256.
- Camp E, Gwinn DC, Pine W, Frazer T. Changes in submersed aquatic vegetation affect predation risks of common prey fish Lucania parva (Cyprinodontiformes: Fundulidae) in a spring-fed coastal river. Journal of Fisheries Management and Ecology. 2011; 19: 245-251.
- Hunt TL, Douglas JW, Allen MS, Tonkin Z, Lyon J, Pickworth A, Gwinn DC. Evaluation of population decline and fishing sustainability of the endangered Australian freshwater fish Macquaria australasica. Fisheries Management and Ecology. 2011; 18: 513-520.
- Bonvechio TF, Allen MS, Gwinn DC, Mitchell JS. Impacts of electrofishing removals on the introduced flathead catfish population in the Satilla River, Georgia. American Fisheries Society Symposium. 2011; 77: 397-407.
- Camp E, Gwinn DC, Lauretta M, Pine W, Frazer T. Use of recovery probabilities can improve sampling efficiency for throw traps in vegetated habitats. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. 2010; 140: 164-169.
- Bunch AJ, Allen MS, Gwinn DC. Spatial and temporal hypoxia in dense emergent macrophytes in a Florida lake. Wetlands. 2010; 30: 429-435.
- Gresens SE, Belt KT, Tang JA, Gwinn, DC, Banks PA. Temporal and spatial responses of Chironomidae (Diptera) and other benthic invertebrates to urban stormwater runoff. Hydrobiologia. 2007; 575: 173-190.
- Snodgrass JW, Hopkins WA, Broughton J, Gwinn DC, Baionno JA, Burger J. 2004. Species-specific responses of developing anurans to coal combustion wastes. Aquatic Toxicology. 2004; 66, 171-182.
- Jung EMU, Cosgrove JJ, Martin BC, Bollen M, Kendrick GA, Fraser M. Seasonal links between metabolites and traditional seagrass metrics in the seagrass Halophila ovalis in an estuarine system. Ecological Indicators. 2022; 143
- Martin BC, Middleton JA, Skrzypek G, Kendrick GA, Cosgrove J, Fraser M. Composition of seagrass root associated bacteria and heavy metal concentrations in an anthropogenically influenced estuary. Frontiers in Marine Science. 2022; 8, 1-15.
- Scholtz VV, Martin BC, Meyer R, Schramm A, Fraser MW, Nielson LP, Kendrick GA, Risgaard‐Petersen N, Burdorf LDW, Marshall IPG. Cable bacteria at oxygen-releasing roots of aquatic plants: a widespread and diverse plant-microbe association. New Phytologist. 2021; 232, 2138-2151.
- Martin BC, Middleton JA, Fraser MW, Marshall IPG, Scholz VV, Hausl B, Schmidt H. Cutting out the middle clam: lucinid endosymbiotic bacteria are also associated with seagrass roots worldwide. ISME Journal. 2020; 14, 2901-2905.
- Martin BC, Sanchez-Alarcon M, Gleeson D., Middleton JA, Fraser MW, Ryan MH, Holmer M, Kendrick GA, Kilminster K. Root microbiomes as indicators of seagrass health. FEMS Microbial Ecology. 2020; 96: 1-9.
- Martin BC, Bougoure J, Ryan MH, Bennett WW, Colmer TD, Joyce NK, Olsen YS, Kendrick GA. Oxygen loss from seagrass roots coincides with colonisation of sulphide-oxidising cable bacteria and reduced sulphide stress. The ISME Journal. 2019; 13: 707-710.
- Martin BC. Cutting out the middle clam. Behind the Paper, Nature Microbiology Community. 2020.
- Phelps CM, Bernasconi R, Danks M, Gasol JM, Hopkins AJM, Jones J, Kavazos CRJ, Martin BM, Tarquinio F, Huggett M. Microbiomes of Western Australian marine environments, Journal of the Royal Society of Western Australia. 2019; 101: 17-43.
- Olsen YS, Fraser MW, Martin BC, Pomeroy A., Lowe R., Pedersen O., Kendrick GA. In situ oxygen dynamics in rhizomes of Posidonia sinuosa – impact of light, water column oxygen, current speed and wave velocity. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 2018; 590: 67-77.
- Martin BC, Statton JS, Siebers AR, Grierson PF, Ryan MH, Kendrick GA. Colonizing tropical seagrasses increase root exudation under fluctuating and continuous low light. Limnology and Oceanography. 2017; 63: 381-391.
Aquaculture & Fisheries
- Staton BA, Catalano MJ, Connors BM, Coggins LG, Jones ML, Walters CJ, Fleischman SJ, Gwinn DC. Evaluation of methods for spawner–recruit analysis in mixed-stock Pacific salmon fisheries. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. 2020; 77.
- Connors BM, Staton BA, Coggins L, Walters C, Jones M, Gwinn DC, Catalano M, Fleischman S. Incorporating harvest–population diversity trade-offs into harvest policy analyses of salmon management in large river basins. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. 2020; 77.
- Gwinn DC, Butler G, Ingram B, Raymond S, Lintermans M, Ye Q. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. 2019; 77.
- Gwinn DC, Bacheler NM, and Shertzer K. Integrating video data into traditional fisheries indices using a hierarchical formulation of a state-space model. Fisheries Research. 2019; 219
- Gwinn DC. and Ingram B. Optimizing fishery characteristics through control of an invasive species: strategies for redfin perch control in Lake Purrumbete, Australia. Marine and Freshwater Research. 2018; 69(9) 1333-1345.
- Thompson BC, DC Gwinn, Allen MS. Evacuation times of radio transmitters consumed by largemouth bass. North American Journal of Fisheries Management. 2014; 35, 621-625.
- Gwinn DC, Allen MS, Johnston FD, Brown P, Todd C, Arlinghaus R. Rethinking length-based fisheries regulations: the value of protecting older and larger fish with harvest slots. Fish and Fisheries. 2014; 16, 259-281.
- Coggins LG, Bacheler NM, Gwinn DC. Occupancy models for monitoring marine fish: a Bayesian hierarchical approach to modeling incomplete detection with a novel gear combination. PLoS ONE. 2014.
- Allen MS, Rogers MW, Catalano MJ, Gwinn DC, Walsh SJ. Assessing the potential for the angling of nesting males to influence largemouth bass recruitment should consider the quality of nesting individuals: response to comment. Transaction of the American Fisheries Society. 2013; 142: 419-421.
- Coggins L, Gwinn DC, Allen MS. Evaluation of age-length key sample sizes required to estimate fish total mortality and growth. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. 2012; 142: 832-840.
- Gwinn DC, Brown P, Tetzlaff J, Allen MS. Evaluating mark-recapture sampling designs for fish in an open riverine system. Marine and Freshwater Research. 2011; 62: 835-840.
- Allen MS, Rogers MW, Catalano MJ, Gwinn DC, Walsh S. Evaluating the potential for stock size to limit recruitment in largemouth bass. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. 2011; 140: 1093-1100.
- Gwinn DC, Allen MS, Rogers MW. Evaluation of procedures to reduce bias in fish growth parameter estimates resulting from size-selective sampling. Fisheries Research. 105: 75-79.
- Gwinn DC and Allen MS. Exploring population-level effects of fishery closures during spawning: An example using largemouth bass. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. 2010; 139: 626-634.
- Soto-Shoender JR, Gwinn DC, Sovie A, Mcleery RA. Life-history traits moderate the susceptibility of native mammals to an invasive predator. Biological Invasions. 2020; 22: 2671–2684
- Soto J, McCleery RA, Monadjem A, Gwinn DC. The importance of grass cover for mammalian diversity and habitat associations in a bush encroached savanna. Biological Conservation. 2018; 221: 127-136.
Remediation & Ecological Engineering
- Gleeson DB, Martin BC, Lardner T, Ball AS, Grice K, Holman AI, Trolove A, Manix M, Tibbett M, Bending GD, Hilton S, Ryan MH. Natural attenuation of legacy hydrocarbon spills in pristine soils is feasible despite difficult environmental conditions in the monsoon tropics. Science of the Total Environment. 2021; 799, 1-10.
- Martin BC, George SJ, Price CA, Shahsavari E, Ball AS, Tibbett M., Ryan MH. Citrate and malonate increase microbial activity and alter microbial community composition in uncontaminated and diesel-contaminated soil microcosms. SOIL. 2016; 2: 487-498
- Martin BC, George SJ, Price CA, Ryan MH, Tibbett M. The role of root exuded low molecular weight organic anions in facilitating petroleum hydrocarbon degradation: Current knowledge and future directions. Science of the Total Environment. 2014; 472: 642-653.
- D Minemba, BC Martin, MH Ryan, EJ Veneklaas, DB Gleeson. Phosphate fertiliser alters carboxylates and bacterial communities in sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas (L.) Lam.) rhizosheaths. Plant and Soil. 2020; 454, 245-260.